Complex financially focused case brought by a company in liquidation claiming damages and relief for negligence and breach of duty of care, in excess of 1 billion dollars. Case preparation took between 6 and 7 years and involved many thousands of financial documents and globally spread legal teams.
The trial was expected to run for two years. There was a change of Judge after an electronic trial had been ordered. The new Judge described his background as that of ‘technological ineptitude’. As such the Judge was keen to ensure the Court was not dominated by the technology, rather that it be the Courts servant.
Recognising that the judge was unlikely to be an active user of Delium, his workstation was configured to function entirely “hands off”.
Keyboard and mouse were removed from his reach and training was limited to explaining that on one screen he would see exactly what the witness would be seen while on the other he would see materials being shown to him by his associate.
Contrary to expectations, within a short time of the commencement of hearings, the judge retrieved mouse and keyboard and became an active user of Delium.
At the conclusion of the trial he commented:
- “Delium ran extremely smoothly and efficiently without interruption.”
- “Rather than rely on my associate, I soon found that Delium had been developed to such a high standard of user-friendliness that its use did not detract from my concentration on the trial.”
- “Delium was a pleasure to use, and I found that I was doing my own searches and retrieving information without delay, difficulty or interruption to the conduct of the trial. On some occasions I even began to feel frustrated when counsel, relying on hard copy documents, were causing minor delays.”
- “Delium provides new horizons, not only of efficiency, but of availability and quality of information.”
- “The speed of access to obscure passages by simple and efficient search processes saved enormous time in retrieval. The text was presented in a form that was easy to read, as indeed were the documents and the data relating to them.”
Delium has been designed to replicate the way litigators think and work, without the need for extensive training. Delium’s intuitive interface and analysis tools are easy to setup and suitable for cases of all sizes.